Magrath and District Chamber of Commerce
Inaugural Meeting Thursday, June 10, 2010, 7:00 p.m. at Covered Wagon RV Park
Approved Bylaws, Selected Directors, Registration
Upcoming Events and Future Plans
PDF: Chamber Bylaw Proposal May 20 attached
7pm Welcome by Interim Board President Jay Mackenzie - why have a chamber discussed, last meeting it was decided to proceed, to set up interim board, and to prepare bylaws for new organization. Thanks to Hazeldean's for use of meeting area.
- Discussed Bylaw document. Moved to accept as presented. Carried: All in favor, none against.
- Moved that Interim Board to continue in 2010 with Jay Mackenzie President, Duane Thomson Vice President, and Roger Davies Secretary until elections in new year. Carried: All in favor, none against.
- Discussed need for positions to be filled. Treasurer and 5 Board Directors. Deferred to later in meeting
- Discussed fee schedule and whether number of employees included just full-time staff or part-time as well. Moved to define number of employees pertaining to fee schedule as any full or part time staff member. Carried: All in favor, none against.
- Discussed benefits of membership and how voting would work. Each membership has one vote.
- Fee schedule as presented is $50 for 1-4 employees, $60 for 5-10 employees, $70 for 11-15 employees, and $75 for 16 or more. Fee covers the year from Jan-Dec with no provision for proration. Moved to accept fee schedule as presented. Carried: All in favor, none against.
- Workshop groups: Directions for the new Chamber. What topics are of most importance to your businesses? Discussion resulted in three main areas of focus: Beautification and Downtown Planning, Promotion of Local Business, and Community Programs. Also need local business directories, who does what, perhaps online as well as printed. Need logo for website.
- Discussed need to fill board positions. Ross Moore, Wade Hatch, Arlen Bennett, Rhoda Parent, Warren Schoff willing to serve as Board Directors for 2010. Richard Spencer willing to act as Treasurer. Motion to accept all nominations as board members made. Carried: All in favor, none against.
- Discussed idea to have float in Town Parade in July 2010. Rhoda suggested using the Handibus with new Chamber sign on it. Moved to go ahead with float. Carried: all in favor, none against.
- Next meeting 7pm Thu 23 Sep 2010 at Covered Wagon RV Park. Ideas for upcoming meetings include presentation of benefits packages - how to access, town planning briefing by Town Administrator, Town election issues.
- Motion to Adjourn at 9pm Carried.
- Next Board meeting 7pm 8 Jul 2010 at Westwind News office.
- Accepted registrations for new members for deposit in new account later this month. Forms will also be available on request from Duane at Westwind office.
Sound-bite: Roger Davies is excited to have such great support for our new Chamber of Commerce! It has been a project that is much needed and a long time in coming. Despite being such a busy time of the year, we had a good turn out and were able to fill all the empty board positions. We now have great direction on areas to focus on and have people in place to start to work on them. Yay!