6th Annual Community Food Drive Apr 2011
Magrath Community Food Drive a Great Success again this Year! Thank you to all who helped make this years food drive go so smoothly! The Magrath Lions Club organizes the event in conjunction with members of local churches. Youth groups and their leaders/parents drop off the 1200 flyers during the week before and then go around again on the Saturday morning to pick up donations from all of you. Thanks also to Wes Olsen of Welling and Calvin Heggie of Custom Windows for use of their trailers and their time to drive the collections into the Lethbridge Food Bank. Thanks to Roger, Adrien, Arlen, Cal, Wes, Matt, Scott and Jeff who traveled into town to unload the trucks. All done by 12:45 this year, yay!
To whoever was in charge of the weather, thank you as well! It held off snowing all day but now we have several inches accumulation on the roads again. We will know the final results later this week after all the donations have been weighed at Lethbridge Food Bank. If we missed anyone this year, we apologize for our volunteer crews. Any additional donations can be left at the Magrath Pharmacy and the Lions will take them into Lethbridge as well. Thanks again.
Background: The Magrath Lions coordinated the 6th Annual Magrath and District Community Food Drive on Saturday 16th Apr 2011 from about 9-noon.
Do you have time to help load and unload food bank donations? Come to the Magrath Seniors Center parking lot Saturday morning. Loading trailers starts about 9:30am. We plan to leave for Lethbridge Food Bank after 11am and be unloaded in Lethbridge by noon or shortly thereafter.
On Saturday the 16th of April 2011 we will coordinate the 6th annual Community Food Drive to benefit the Lethbridge Food Bank. Thanks to training in years past from Arne Jensen and to the support of our local churches and their youth groups we anticipate only bigger and better things this year.
1200 flyers have been printed and posters prepared for display in coming weeks. We have new volunteer organizers again this year so some advance training may be required. The folding of the flyers and stapling to the folded collection bags should be prepared in advance (traditionally by the LDS YW Groups in the 6 Magrath Wards, in Welling, and in Del Bonita and Spring Coulee). Youth groups in each of these assigned areas are to distribute the flyers/collection bags to each home 2 or 3 days prior to the Saturday collection day (ie. Apr 12-14th, 2011). Please do not ring or knock - just leave the flyer/collection bag hanging on the door knob.
On the Saturday collection day each home is visited again at 9am and at 10am. Please again, no ringing or knocking - just collect up any bags of donated food and bring it to the collection area (in the parking lot west of the Magrath Seniors Center). Traditionally the collection is organized by the LDS YM Groups. We will have volunteers at the collection area to load the trailers and plan to leave by 11:30 am for Lethbridge.
Thankyou for your assistance in this worthy project. Without everyone's helping hands it would be much harder to accomplish! The links below are to current year flyers and handouts in PDF format:
Please contact Lion Roger or Shauna Davies if you have any further questions or concerns regarding the food drive process. Thanks again, all! /rdd
Benefiting the Lethbridge Food Bank and Area Sponsored by: Representatives from the Churches from Magrath and surrounding area; The Catholic, The Lutheran, The United Church of Canada, The Mennonite Brethren, The Baptist, and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and coordinated by members of the Magrath Lions Club.
Thank you for Volunteering! Here are some operational notes:
- The best time to leave between dropping off bags with flyers and the pick-up on Saturday seems to be 2 to 3 days. One week is the maximum time that should be left between drop off and pick-up.
- It is important to remember to return to every house twice where bags and flyers were delivered to check if food was left for collections. Donors are often frustrated if they try to donate food and it is not collected when stated.
- First collection is at 9:00 am on Saturday not earlier. Second collection is at 10:00 am on Saturday not earlier.
- Please go up to each door, check on both left and right. If there is a storm door, check in between the doors.
- Do not knock on doors .. do not ring the bell.
- Remember, as community food drive workers, we are representing the Food Bank. Please respect the donors property and treat those in the community with respect. Do not walk on the grass or flowerbeds.
- If your group cannot complete the area assigned, please let Lion Roger or Shauna (403) 388-4332 know so that others can be assigned to that area.
- Please don't be late. Start on time.
- Trucks leave from the Seniors Citizen Centre parking lot for Lethbridge at 11:30 am
Thank you again!
|< Prev||Next >|